About the Position
Permanent Intermediate EE position Market Related salary
SARAO’s Business IT team has an exciting opportunity for a Desktop Support Technician responsible for the continuous operations of SARAO Business IT services, inclusive of audio visual, telephony, business applications, backup and recovery services, managing and resolving helpdesk tickets.
Minimum education requirement:
Minimum work experience required:
- National Diploma Information Technology or equivalent.
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal qualities:
- 5 years’ experience in an ICT services team or IT environment
Duties include but not limited to:
- Be able to work within a team
- Be adaptable with good problem solving skills
- Highly motivated and committed
- CompTIA A+ and CompTIAN+
- BTech Information Technology or
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- Implementation of efficient SARAO Helpdesk function
- Monitor and attend to helpdesk tickets
- Debug and repair of hardware, or request 3rd party services
- End user support for operating systems such as installations, rescue/recovery, patching and performance optimization
- Assist users to procure, install and maintain desktop software including web browsers
- Provision of access control, videoconference, audio visual and telephony support
- Receive and commission new IT assets, as well as decommission and dispose of assets per relevant policies
- Ensure appropriate security and anti-virus is in place
- Account and password management
- solve complex technical problems
- work under pressure & meet deadlines
- display analytical and problem-solving capability
- communicate effectively with good interpersonal skills
- linux and Apple Mac OS
- server architecture
- video Conferencing and telephony systems
- ITL Framework Foundation
- TCP/IP networking
- Microsoft operating systems
About The Employer
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa’s activities in the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, commonly known as the SKA, in engineering, science and construction. SARAO is a National Facility managed by the National Research Foundation and incorporates radio astronomy instruments and programmes such as the MeerKAT and KAT-7 telescopes in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry (AVN) programme in nine African countries as well as the associated human capital development and commercialisation endeavours.
As a business unit of the NRF, SARAO is committed to employment equity and redress.
Type of employment: Permanent
SARAO reserves the right to amend and/or withdraw adverts at any time without notification.