Permanent Intermediate EE position Market Related salary
About the Position
SARAO requires a Diesel Mechanic to join our team based in Carnarvon, Northern Cape. The main purpose of this role is to perform routine work, repairs and maintenance on fleet vehicles and earth moving equipment.
Minimum education requirement:
- Qualified Diesel Mechanic (Trade Test)
- Valid Code 10 and PDP
Minimum work experience required:
- Five-years working experience in servicing and maintenance of fleet vehicles of which 2 years should be on earth moving equipment
- Proven earth-moving equipment & heavy duty experience
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Servicing of company vehicles to predefined checklists
- Attend to breakdowns and carry out the necessary repairs on fleet vehicles & earth moving equipment
- Apply Health & Safety rules and regulations in all aspects of job
- Ensure vehicles are kept in line with legal requirements and company policies i.e. roadworthy etc.
- Maintain a safe and clean working place at all times
- Administer regular reporting to management regarding breakdowns, services etc.
- Perform ancillary duties to the above as determined by management on an ongoing basis
- Develop and maintain good relationship with key supplier/business partners
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies: Ability to:
- adhere to safety procedures
- advise others on when to repair or replace a part
- follow routine procedures for schedules maintenance programmes
- repair or replace parts using hand and power tools
- test & inspect mechanical parts, such as engines & transmissions to locate problems
- advise stakeholders on the work carried out for general vehicle condition
- communicate clearly with stakeholders
- use various devices to help diagnose & isolate problems
- maintenance & repair of motor vehicles and earth construction equipment/vehicles
- motor mechanics
- vehicle malfunctions and diagnoses thereof
- vehicle parts and products
- fuel, brake, steering & suspension systems, transmissions, emission-control & exhaust systems
- health & safety standards & legislation
- technical specifications of various vehicle models
About The Employer
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa’s activities in the Square Kilometre Array Radios Telescope, commonly known as the SKA, in engineering, science and construction. SARAO is a National Facility managed by the National Research Foundation and incorporates radio astronomy instruments and programmes such as MeerKAT and KAT-7 telescopes in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry (AVN) programme in nine African countries as well as the associated human capital development and commercialisation endeavours.
As a business unit of the NRF, SARAO is committed to employment equity and redress.
Type of employment: Permanent
SARAO reserves the right to amend and/or withdraw adverts at any time without notification