Permanent Intermediate EE position Market Related salary
iThemba LABS is seeking a Mechatronics Engineer for the South African Isotope Facility (SAIF) project. The Engineer will lead, manage, facilitate and execute detailed design and manufacturing projects on behalf of the company relating to target irradiation systems (mechanical, cooling, radiation shielding and target transport systems) for medical isotope production. This will include compiling and executing project work plans and revising as appropriate to meet changing requirements. Ensuring that appropriate resources, systems, procedures, standards, statutory and other mechanisms are in place to ensure that project requirements are met efficiently and to the required schedule, cost and quality. The position will also require preparation of bid specifications and tender documentation, as well as partaking in tender processes. The Engineer will also be responsible for the validation of target manufacturing processes and implement suitable quality assurance systems for this purpose.
- BEng /BSc (Eng) in Electro-Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering
- A minimum of 8 years’ relevant working knowledge and experience in managing Science and Engineering projects:
- A minimum of 5 years should be in a project environment with specific knowledge/experience in conceptual and detail engineering,
- Proven experience with fine mechanics and electro-mechanical precision mechanisms
- Advanced CAD and CNC manufacturing experience
- Knowledge of project portfolio management, project controls, manufacturing management and supply chain
- Demonstrable capability in setting up compliant processes with a particular focus on Engineering, Procurement and Manufacturing Management
- Demonstrable capability of working in a multidisciplinary project management team.
Desirable Skills and attributes:
- Proven experience with systems engineering and configuration management principles
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Experience in working on science related projects
- Experience in compiling tenders and managing subcontractors
- Experience in working in a multi-disciplinary project environment
- Familiarity with the PFMA and public sector Supply Chain Management processes
- Basic understanding of radiation safety (advantageous)
- Strong track record of successfully completed projects
- Strong change management skills
- Commercial acumen with strong planning and financial management skills
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Management and coordination of projects relating to the design and manufacturing of all target irradiation and transport systems
- Manage all project functions related to project management, project control, engineering management, procurement, manufacturing management to meet project(s) goals
- Identify risks and ensure operational impacts are minimized
- Lead, manage and oversee projects schedules and budgets
- Meeting project deadlines and producing detailed project plans
- Compiling and executing project work plans
- Preparing bid specifications and tender documentation and
- Managing governance and legal compliance.
- Financial Management: Preparing budget forecast for projects
- Responsible for producing all engineering management reports and providing on- going status of the project
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- Demonstrable capability of working in a multidisciplinary project management team
- Managing and governance and legal compliance
- Proven experience with fine mechanics and Electro-mechanical precision mechanisms
- Advanced CAD and CNC manufacturing experience
- Apply mechanical engineering techniques and practices within a specific mechanical area
- Experience with systems engineering and Configuration management principles
- Basic understanding of radiation safety
- Responsible for producing all engineering management reports and providing on-going status of the project
About The Employer
National Research Foundation The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of National Research /Facilities and science outreach platforms and programmes to the broader community in all fields of science and technology, including science, engineering, social science and humanities. The iThemba LABS Laboratories for Accelerator Based Sciences is a group of multidisciplinary research laboratories administered by the NRF. Based at the two sites in the Western Cape and Gauteng, these provide facilities for:
- Basic and applied research using particle beams.
- Particle radiotherapy for the treatment of cancer.
- The supply of accelerator-produced isotopes for nuclear medicine and research.
The NRF is committed to employment equity and redress. Correspondence will be conducted with the shortlisted candidates. iThemba LABS reserves the right to amend and/or withdraw adverts at any time without notification.
Type of employment: Permanent
SARAO reserves the right to amend and/or withdraw adverts at any time without notification