Permanent Senior EE position
Market Related salary
About the Position
SARAO seeks to appoint a Senior Network Administrator to work in the Networking branch of the Compute Infrastructure group, this role sits within with the Networking team to implement and support organizational wide network services, directives from Security team and maintain networking documentation. The candidate will monitor and support network equipment, do performance monitoring on existing networks, and provide second line support to the helpdesk.
Minimum education requirement:
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science or engineering with at least 3 years working experience in the field of information technology
- Diploma in information technology or computer systems with 5 years working experience in the field of information technology
Desirable additional educational, work experience, and personal qualities:
- Good technical skills, highly motivated and enthusiastic individual who can work on their own and as part of a team.
- Team player – willingness to help colleagues and provide organizational support, and to fit in with organizational culture and methodologies
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly; and to encourage commitment to learn in others
- Good working knowledge of TCP/IP, Routing, DNS, DHCP, OSI Stack, VPN.
- Networking switch and router configuration – Cisco, HPE, Mellanox, Arista
- Experience in networking monitoring tools and support packages
- Identity and Access Management, Single Sign-on and Federated Identity (IdP and SP)
Duties include (but not limited to):
- Maintain and manage, in conjunction with networking team, networking switches and routers conforming to requirements from Networking Security Team
- Develop, manage and maintain documentation of the system architecture
- Develop and maintain database of existing networking equipment – location, serial number, model, configuration management.
- Manage, in conjunction with networking team, maintenance of networking kit, spares provisioning, stores replacement, capacity planning, optics, line cards etc. as well as support contracts.
- Maintain and manage, in conjunction with networking team, servers both physical and virtual (Proxmox based on KVM) running Linux and Microsoft Windows Server Edition
- Maintain and manage, in conjunction with networking team, server room level networking and availability
- Contribute to design, planning and ongoing improvement of IT systems and assist with forecasting future requirements
- Respond, in conjunction with the networking team, to break-fix issues on networking equipment
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- manage file servers and administer system security
- oversee the maintenance of computing and network infrastructure
- perform daily systems administration
- upgrade and perform maintenance on systems
- well developed knowledge of systems/services for software/hardware development as it relates to IT networking and across functions
- good understanding of Linux operating systems and networking tools
- maintenance and operation life cycle of Networking equipment
- operating systems such as Debian, Linux, Ubuntu and OSX
- experience with WAN networking
- ITIL frameworks and ICT operations
About The Employer
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa’s activities in the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, commonly known as the SKA, in engineering, science and construction. SARAO is a National Facility managed by the National Research Foundation and incorporates radio astronomy instruments and programmes such as the MeerKAT and KAT-7 telescopes in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry (AVN) programme in nine African countries as well as the associated human capital development and commercialisation endeavours.
As a business unit of the NRF, SARAO is committed to employment equity and redress.
Type of employment: Permanent
SARAO reserves the right to amend and/or withdraw adverts at any time without notification