Permanent Senior EE position Market Related salary
About the Position
SARAO has an exciting opportunity for four (4) Senior Systems Engineers to join our team based in Cape Town. Working closely with the Manager: System Engineering.
The key purpose of these roles are as follows:
- Advance the maturity of systems and products through application of recognised systems engineering competence and skills.
- Responsible for all systems engineering elements of design and development through to integration, test & verification for sub-systems and systems with high criticality.
- Lead the definition of architectures and solutions derived from vague or abstract requirements.
- Review and integrate multiple activity reports into system level analysis and reports to ensure quality and integrity of results and recommendations within uncertain contexts.
- Responsible for the baselines and design configuration of the system under development, including leading and managing engineering changes to the baselines.
- Provide “field engineering” services for telescopes and sub-systems to aid in fault diagnostics and rectification
- Coach or mentor up to 5 young engineers in the field of engineering and specifically systems engineering.
- Use experience to employ innovative and unique methods and techniques to improve the efficiency and integrity of the systems engineering outcomes.
- Contribute to- and advance- organisational maturity through leading the development and implementation of engineering processes within his/her realm of responsibility.
- Provide systems engineering support across multiple domains, teams and on multiple products, subsystems and systems.
- Contribute to strategic leadership within Programme(s) and SARAO through experience-based inputs and conceptual/ strategic thinking.
Minimum education requirements:
- BEng /BSc. (Eng.).
Minimum work experience required:
- 10+ years’ relevant experience
Desirable additional educational, work experience, and personal qualities:
- Extensive technical knowledge and experience related to systems engineering
- Recognition at domain and/or national level for expertise in the field of systems engineering
- Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP) accreditation
- Conceptual / strategic thinking
- Analytical problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and leadership
- Communicate effectively in English (both written and verbally)
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies: Ability
- Undertake engineering activities,with particular focus on concurrent engineering and supportability
- Lead teams to deliver systems including the enterprise or organisational aspects thereof
- Function simultaneously across multiple domains, teams and on multiple systems
- Lead and execute engineering tasks and analysis without supervision
- Coach or mentor up to 5 young engineers in the field of engineering and specifically systems engineering
- Lead the development and implementation of engineering processes
- Use of Computer-aided Systems Engineering Tools (e.g. CORE)
- Advanced Applied Systems Engineering over the complete lifestyle and all hierarchy levels
- Baseline establishment and management
- Development of systems engineering processes and procedures
- Configuration management and configuration management systems
- In-depth knowledge of systems engineering and methods, procedures, tools and techniques
- Quality assurance systems (ISO 9001)
- Systems Engineering Standards, e.g ISO/IEC/IEEE Contact Number
About The Employer
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa’s activities in the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, commonly known as the SKA, in engineering, science and construction. SARAO is a National Facility managed by the National Research Foundation and incorporates radio astronomy instruments and programmes such as the MeerKAT and KAT-7 telescopes in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry (AVN) programme in nine African countries as well as the associated human capital development and commercialisation endeavours.
As a business unit of the NRF, SARAO is committed to employment equity and redress.
Type of employment: Permanent